Host a Tour of Your Facility
The Sacramento Capitol has a huge impact on your business in California. A tour of your facility is a fantastic way for lawmakers to understand the trucking industry and helps create relationships with your local legislator.
How to get started:
- Reach out to Matt Roman, Director of Government Affairs – firstname.lastname@example.org and share your interest in scheduling a facility tour. Once you establish a date, CTA can walk you thru the process of how to contact your local legislator’s office. Be prepared that this process can takes weeks and months. Our legislators have a busy schedule.
- Send a written invitation to your legislator a minimum of one month in advance.
- Determine if the event will involve a meal or reception. Consider hosting a fund raising reception.
- Prepare your employees and key staff members for the tour. Create a written schedule for the tour and make sure to stick to the schedule. Designate a person that is the lead for the tour and that follows the schedule and timing.
- Reach out to CTA to provide you and your staff with key talking points. Make sure to share those talking points with all your employees.
- Get to know your legislator. CTA can help you with this process and prepare you. We share information on what bills the legislator has co-sponsored, on what committees the legislator serves on and find some personal common connections.
- Make sure to document the visit and take lots of photographs. Have someone take a good quality pictures during the visit. Share those photos on your social media and with CTA.
- After the event make sure to thank the legislator for the visit. Reinforce the key talking points you tried to make. Follow up with a written thank you note.
(note to MemberZone: include pictures of facility tours)