Your membership investment enables CTA to fight for you!
YOUR RETURN ON INVESTMENT SCORECARD:
- CTA placed limits into California law on truck fleet rules. Due to this CTA win, California cannot require trucks to be replaced, retrofitted or re-powered until the later of: 13 years or 800,000 miles, up to a maximum of 18 years. YOUR ROI: Savings to the industry of $5.5 billion
- CTA successfully achieved a carve out for trucking within a joint employer liability piece of legislation that passed the California state legislature. If the carve out had not been achieved by CTA, you would have seen increased exposure to class action litigation with the creation of joint liability with both subcontractors and shippers for wage claims. YOUR ROI: $70,000 per lawsuit prevented (By CalChamber estimates)
- CTA has twice stopped legislation that would have allowed the SCAQMD to institute fleet rules. YOUR ROI: Savings to industry of $3.3 billion
- CTA prevented increases in truck registration fees, VLF and weight fees when the state legislature passed its 10 year infrastructure funding package. YOUR ROI: $1 billion per year saved by trucking industry
- CTA has successfully advocated for state environmental incentive funding for trucking. YOUR ROI: $500 million per year
- CTA played a critical role in the FMCSA’s recent finalized rule that continued the historical load securement regulations (versus new, costlier rules under consideration). YOUR ROI: Savings to the industry of $120 million, or $2,000 per applicable trailer.
- CTA amended state legislation to minimize exposure for port trucking joint wage claim liability. YOUR ROI: Invaluable
- CTA worked with DMV to significantly streamline the Medical Certificate receipt confirmation process for motor carriers. YOUR ROI: Time is Money
- CTA has stopped more than 20 local California jurisdictions from overcharging extralegal haulers to obtain a single trip permit. YOUR ROI: Invaluable
CTA ROI (SAVINGS TO YOU) OF $1,080 FOR EACH TRUCK YOU OPERATE.
YOUR RETURN ON INVESTING IN CTA WILL CONTINUE IN THE MONTHS AHEAD WITH THESE ACTION ITEMS...
- CTA filed federal litigation against the CA Attorney General to prevent the application of the “ABC” worker classification test brought on by the CA Supreme Court’s ruling in the Dynamex case. A win in this lawsuit would conservatively save the industry $10 billion due to retroactive liability for minimum wage, meal & rest, unreimbursed business expenses and other exposure, plus attorney’s fees, penalties, business model changes and decreased efficiencies.
- CTA is spearheading a broad business coalition fighting air district indirect source rules (ISRs) that have a potential cost for warehouse operators (including trucking ops) of 10 to 50 cents per square foot, on an ongoing annual basis.
- CTA continues in litigation against California and its use of the Berman Hearing process for wage claims. The misuse of the Berman Hearing process has cost motor carriers up to $300,000 in wages & penalties per driver, plus legal fees.
- CTA is working with our Heavy Specialized Carriers Conference and CalTrans to institute a ‘virtual inspection’ style policy that would save significant time and money for vehicle inspections related to variance permits for certain types of loads.
EVERY NUMBER TELLS A STORY. THAT STORY IS CONSISTENT THROUGHOUT.
CTA is fighting, winning and delivering for you in the toughest state in the country.
INVEST IN CTA. PARTICIPATE. PROTECT YOUR BUSINESS.